25 Sept 2010

Artist 25: Michelle Kondrich








A warm welcome to the fabulously quirky Michelle Kondrich, ex New Yorker and current Sopranos watcher. Beneath Michelle's illustration lies powerful observational skills, and the exquisite crafting of each image with delicate cross hatching and efficient line drawing techniques, demonstrates her talent for both looking and drawing. This skill gives her work a certain serenity and a gentle clever humour. Soft yet strong like a baseball bat in bubble wrap her illos will hit you clean out of the park! read about her here.

Who are you:

What do you do:
Illustration!

And watching the Sopranos.

How did you start:
Last fall I realized that I was unhappy with my work and wanted to start doing something I was passionate about. I started reading about illustration and listening to all the podcasts I could find (Escape from Illustration Island, Art and Story, Big Illustration Party Time, Chris Oatley's Artcast) and started to work on my portfolio. Since then things have been picking up. I've had illustrations published in The Deli Magazine and I have a short children's story appearing in a collaborative anthology that will be available soon. (check here for more info)

My husband and I recently moved from NYC to Denver where he is starting a Ph.D. program and that gave me a real opportunity to push my illustration career forward since I didn't have a job waiting for me in Denver. It's been very scary but also very exciting.

A Personal statement about you or your work:
I have a quirky sense of humor and I think it shows in my work. My cross-hatching and detailed line work often achieve a kind of edgy retro feel that lends itself well to editorial illustration as well as children's illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment